Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beware Lust

Recently, it was shown that a brain in love was almost identical to a brain on heroin. Think about that. Think about that. Young friends, with your optimism and young bodies, the physical love you feel with your partner has seduced you. In fact, it has shut down the rational part of your brain and electrified the emotional part. The same thing has happened to your partner.

So, you're thinking about marrying this guy? So, you're thinking about marrying this guy, despite a few pesky repeated warnings emanating from a certain part of your brain. You are thinking (choose one or several), screw it, no relationship is perfect, life is short, what the hell, I will deal with the consequences, I am getting older and this might be my last chance to get married and have kids, he's got these other qualities (fill the 1-3 that he does possess) that are important, I can always get divorced, etc.

No matter what you use to convince yourself of taking the plunge with this guy, the problem is, young friends, those pesky repeated warnings ARE of consequence. Those repeated warnings usually boil down to three major areas: religion, class, and education.

More later.

2 comments:

drankalot91 said...

I would suggest that what you saw on the brain scan was the brain on "lust" not love.
I have been married forty years to the same person, I think you have it right about "lust" and the major things that get in the way of a successful union.
Love is a lot different than lust.
Marriage is not 50/50; at times I have had to give up everything I believe in so the union will survive and at other times he has had to do the same thing too.
TCCC, Communication, cooperation, courtship and trust are essential to success.
Trust means I don’t read his mail, check his Internet history, view his call log or second-guess his relationship with others.
We spend times talking every day, sometimes by email or cell.
Cooperation requires a commitment to solutions. Courtship means we (by ourselves) go on one date a week.
My parents were married 57 years and our daughter will celebrate 19 years this month, while our son will celebrate 14.
It is possible to find love. P.S. Humor is essential; my husband of forty years was "supposed" to die in Viet Nam, as it turned out he never even went. So here we are growing old together.

vimala said...

Thank you for posting to my blog. I really appreciate it. I didn't read your comment until just now, five months too late! Would you consider expanding on your idea of humor being essential to a successful union? I would, with your permission, post it to this blog.